Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Cat Charlie

This is my cat, Charlie.

Isn't he the sweetest?  A little background on Charlie.  We moved here 9 years ago with two cats, Finnegan and Tiger.  They were both pretty old at the time.  For about a year, I saw this young, mostly feral cat, who would not come near any human, running around.  One day, I was sitting on the front porch, and this wild cat jumped in my lap.  That's all it took, he was mine.  He couldn't come in the house because of the other two, so, I had him fixed, fed him, and made him comfy during the winter. Once, it was so cold out that I brought him in, and kept him in our large basement study.  Needless to say, he did not want anything to do with that and the next morning, curtains and blinds had been ripped, papers spread all over and we had a cat ready to get outside (it was below zero so I still think it was the best solution).  For the next year, he and I got pretty close.  My other two cats died within about 6 months of each other (one was 19 and one was 21).  Charlie started to come in.  Within the last 8 months, Charlie has become a full-time indoor cat.  I don't think he is always happy about it but it is safer here especially with the coyotes and raccoons we see and hear. 
I think Charlie knows I am going on vacation.  I haven't gotten the suitcase out yet, I haven't started organizing my clothes and yet he won't leave my side.  He follows me around the house.  If I go into a room, he will lay in the doorway so I can't get out without him knowing.  If I walk really fast, he will run after me.  I am feeling horribly guilty about leaving him.  I have a house sitter for a few days who I know he likes but I think he gets really lonely without me.  My DH will be here for 5 of the days but Charlie doesn't really like him (must be a jealousy thing).  It makes going on vacation very bittersweet.
Only a few more days before I leave and other than leaving the cat and other than being in a total dither, I am very excited.   I haven't been to Vegas in over 7 years.  I have been saving since last November so I don't have to budget quite as much.  I will weigh in this Saturday and my plan is, thanks to a suggestion from Cammy at tippytoediet.com, "What goes on in Vegas, stays in Vegas". 

Have a great Friday!  See you on Saturday for WID at The Tortoise's Weigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment