Monday, March 14, 2011

Menu Item Monday (MIM) #1

My DH and I love to cook. We love to try new recipes. He is a dear to help me find recipes that tantalize my tastebuds and still be waist friendly.
I have decided to post a new menu item every Monday, thus Menu Item Monday or MIM for short. Today's item is a salad we had for dinner last night and it was thoroughly enjoyed!

Jicama, Red Pepper, Carrot Slaw with Pepper Jelly Dressing - serves 6
1/4 cup Pepper Jelly (your favorite flavor - we used a Raspberry Chipotle flavor)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 pound Jicama root, peeled
2 large carrots
1 red pepper
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves

Whisk the pepper jelly, lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and canola oil together. Cut the jicama, carrots and red pepper into matchstick size pieces (or you can use a food processor and shred the jicama and carrots and dice the red pepper). Toss the jicama, carrots and red pepper and chopped cilantro leaves together and pour the dressing over all. (You could also add a little bit of chopped jalapeno to this salad to spice it up even more.)

NOTE: The total calories per serving is about 180 BUT, there is a lot of dressing left over and I am not quite sure how to account for that. I just know that this slaw is healthy and delicious.
NOTE2: I know I said I would post the Tabbouleh recipe but this salad was just too delicious not to post first.

I hope you enjoy reading (and maybe even trying) out the MIM recipes on The Tortoise's Weigh!

0 comments:

Post a Comment