Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mind Battle

We had friends over for dinner last night. We planned the meal and the time to work with my plan (have I mentioned I am a tad bit structured (anal)). Dinner got delayed, I got really hungry, I ate too many appetizers and then followed it by eating too much dinner and then decided I would go ahead and eat dessert.
I did a little mental kicking last night, I got on the scale this morning (twice, have I mentioned I have a wee bit of scale addiction), and guess what, a 1.5 pound increase.

Now my mind is battling with itself...
MeB4) You failed, you didn't have enough willpower to stop yourself.
MeNow) Your plan is a guideline. It is okay to splurge every now and then.
MeB4) Why did you have the ice cream? Why did you keep taking more? Why didn't you quit?
MeNow) It is okay. You didn't eat an additional 5,000+ calories for a 1.5 lb. gain.
MeB4) You might as well give up and go back to eating the way you were.
MeNow) No, let's figure out a way to a) get back to the plan and b) allow for splurges in your plan and c) figure out how to keep this from happening every time you entertain. It is your plan and you can do what you want. Part of living life is to have some splurges but you need to be able to enjoy them and not avoid them. We need to plan for the splurge. Let's see, maybe once a month, allow for a splurge. Let's calculate out what we ate last night and see what the result is next Saturday at the next WID (weigh in day).
MeB4) I am cool with that.
MeNow) Whew, I won that one.

Okay, the old me and the new me are now back in sync. If you are reading this, you might think, "This woman is whacky". I'm not. Really. It is just the internal dialogue that many of us have. I just happened to write it down as a permanant record. Oh no, what did I do? Maybe I am a little whacky sometimes and that is okay.

I hope I didn't scare you away from The Tortoise's Weigh!

0 comments:

Post a Comment