Thursday, March 3, 2011

Why a tortoise?

This blog is about my goal of losing 80-100 pounds.
Over the years, I have tried so many different diets and I have now dieted myself to the highest weight ever. I can actually pinpoint the major gains and losses to things going on in my life...going on a cruise - lost 40 pounds, being on that cruise - gained 8 pounds, quit smoking - gained 40 pounds, my father's death - gained 20 pounds, etc. You get the picture.
In the past, I started diets all gung ho and I lost very quickly, for the first few weeks. Then, I stop losing as fast, I get frustrated, and I give up. Most diets had me cut out the foods I love and when I gave up, I would binge on all of my favorites to the point of weighing more than when I started the diet.
I cannot and will not repeat this cycle again. I am taking a different approach this time. I am not cutting out the foods I love, I am not going to deny myself any food, and I am not going to starve myself. My father always said "Eat what you want, just less". This is what I am going to do except, being a very structured person (okay so I am a little anal), I do need some guidelines.
The first guideline: Slow and steady wins the race. Just like the tortoise in "The Tortoise and the Hare", one of Aesop's Fables. Thus the birth of this blog, The Tortoise's Weigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment