Monday, March 21, 2011

MIM #2 - Menu Item Monday

I made a great dinner tonight but the recipe for my Turkey Noodle Bake will have to wait until next Monday. Why, you ask? Because I promised the recipe we use for Tabouli (or Tabbouleh).
Tabouli is soooo delicious and healthy. You should try it!

Tabouli - serves 6-8 (about 1 cup per serving)
1 cup boiling water
1 cup fine cracked wheat (bulgar)*
1 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 - 2/3 cup minced fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tomatoes, diced
2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (+ or - to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl, pour the boiling water over the cracked wheat and cover (make sure to use a bowl that can withstand boiling water). Let stand about 20 minutes or until the wheat is tender and the water is absorbed. Cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Add the parsley, mint, onion, tomatoes and cucumbers and toss with the cooled wheat. Combine the oil, lemon juice and salt in a separate bowl. Pour over the wheat mixture and mix well. Chill completely. Toss and serve.
*We found bulgar at a larger grocery store as well as a natural food store.
I think it is around 200 calories for a whole cup.

I never really thought much about parsley until I had this salad and trust me when I say it works. The salad has such a fresh clean taste and is really wonderful in the summer with some grilled meat.

I hope you enjoy reading (and maybe even trying) out the MIM recipes on The Tortoise's Weigh!

0 comments:

Post a Comment